Sunday, November 4, 2018

What's the opposite of "To The Rescue?"

Happy Halloween!! Fat Mike would like to introduce you to:

The Nightmare King!!

In case you missed the online ad campaign that ran prior to the sandwiches Oct. 24th release: click here. Did you watch it? Is it odd that the fact that they only focus on whether the sandwich will ACTUALLY give you nightmares only made the experience more intriguing to the Fat? Is that wrong? Probably.  But Fat Mike charged at the sandwich anyway.  Little did he know that he'd inadvertently stumble into one of the most unique experiences of his life.


This sandwich was OBVIOUSLY released specifically for Halloween, so Fat Mike had to make sure he didn't miss the "limited time" opportunity to consume his Nightmare. He found himself coordinating with friends around lunchtime to chase down this burger at a BK on the corner of 36th and 7th Ave right in the heart of NYC. Fat Mike usually avoids this area of town, but this proved to be a valuable part of the overall experience, so I've got to share this part first.

This was easily one of the NICEST Burger Kings that I've ever been to. It's not that it was "dressed" any differently than a traditional BK, but the FIRST thing that I noticed was that the BK had 2 floors and advertised in the window that if patrons decided to sit upstairs they'd be able to order a beer with their meal. A BEER! It was like being in Europe (or so I've heard, from Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction). Next, as we walk in we're greeted... [pause]... GREETED by someone who notices that we have 4 people and guides us upstairs where there is more seating available. WHAT? That's basically Maitre D' service at BURGER KING which is unheard of.  Once we get upstairs, that same individual kindly asks people to move to accommodate our group, sits us down, provides menus and informs us that someone will come to our table to take our order. I was baffled. I had no idea where I was. This was already unlike any experience I'd ever had at a BK before. Now that I've set the stage for what was to come, and separated this BK from others I can better weave in the "nightmare-ish" food experience so it won't sound SO crazy.

Once at the table, we were able to share our order and the food was brought to the table. Please keep in mind, that the delivery was the same as if you were at the counter. The food was brought to you in a paper bag and placed on the table. Nevertheless, as I looked around this crowded dining room, I couldn't help but notice that I was the only one consuming a green burger. Wait... you didn't see the picture above?? Oh s#!t. please hold. Guess I got carried away and forgot what I was supposed to be doing...

The Nightmare King: One 1/4 burger with American cheese, topped with an all-white fried chicken filet, topped with bacon, garnished with mayo and onion and then this is all encapsulated in a GREEN sesame seed bun.
Disclaimer: if you are a dedicated reader of Faturated Sats, you may recall the last BK Halloween Burger. There will be no upcoming references to poop, the act of pooping, the results of pooping, or anything related therein.

The thing that struck me as AMAZINGLY innovative as I opened the sandwich was the green bun.  Somehow, BK made the bun appear shiny, or slimy. I immediately rubbed the exterior with my fingers to see if the bun had been brushed with butter or anything like that and my hand came back dry.









Look at that shine??
There was no consistency issue with the bun, no sliminess to overcome during the eat. No evidence of tampering with a regular sesame seen bun in any way. Impressive.






You would think that the Nightmare King might bring a little bite, or spice, but nothing. Howevever, that did NOT create a disappointing experience. As a matter of fact the sandwich was DELICIOUS. 

Hold on a tick... remember when I was going on and on about this wacky BK experience? Well, there's one more thing. Once we opened up our sandwiches and started eating, we were approached by this lovely, young woman:

Look closely...
Yep... that's a "don't mind if I do" condiment tray. Boom! They just strut that over to the table and let you pick everything you need for your BK experience. I was impressed.  Ok, back to the sandwich.

The Nightmare King got DEVOURED. It was delicious. Even the members of Fat Mike's entourage who didn't have the courage to order the sandwich for themselves tooks tastes during the meal and agreed with the Fat (for the most part).  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to heal one of the more hungover members of the crew, who was able to provide the title of this Halloween blog post when he took his bite and uttered the words, "BK... um, what's the OPPOSITE of 'to the rescue'?" Hilarious. Sometimes fast food does NOT heal all wounds. Nevertheless, this sandwich was a GREAT innovation on the part of the King and Fat Mike was very happy with the end result.

Perhaps not everyone KNEW about it? Perhaps I was one of a limited few who had a chance to find and enjoy the online ad campaign that drove me in the door? Perhaps people are skeptical of eating green food? Whatever the reason, I can tell you that a lot of folks missed out. If you're reading this, I hope you weren't one of them. This sandwich was only available for a limited time through Halloween, so you can't run out and fix your life now. Too bad. The Fat took the fall for you, as usual.

GO TO THE BK on 36th and 7th in NYC and experience THAT for yourself, though. It's truly surreal.

Until the next nightmare...

PS:
I know you are all wondering... "Well, Fat Mike, did the sandwich give you nightmares?" The human mind is a curious place, and since I didn't immediately go to sleep after my eating experience I couldn't confidently say whether any nightmares could be attributed to the sandwich itself. I only recall dreams on rare occasions. However, after years of late-night fast food experiences, Fat Mike would likely argue that taking down a fast food meal before bedtime will typically cause the human mind to work in mysterious ways. Could this be more prominent in the Nightmare King? Perhaps, but I think the clown and the redhead could probably give the King a run for their money in any sleep study. That's just one Fat's opinion.

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome. Where you at fat Mike?? The people need you!!

    ReplyDelete