Monday, August 3, 2015

More Reasons to Ring the Bell - Pt. 2

And so, I bring you part two...


If you're a regular reader (Hahahahahahahahahaha!), then you already knew about the Taco Bell Cinnabon Delights donut that is served as a part of the glorious Taco Bell breakfast.  

Well, as of July 2nd every TB location started serving these delightful, little creations.  Initially, it was my impression that these were going to be served as an alternative to the aforementioned Cinnabon versions and only be available during breakfast hours.  To my elation, as my Father In Law and I walked into "The Bell" after 4th of July weekend we found out that these delights were on the menu ALL DAY!

After downing a considerable meal consisting of the Grilled Stuft Nacho, Bacon Club Chalupa, Doritos Los Tacos, and a Burrito Supreme, I opted to dive into this bag of happiness to see just what all the fuss (in my own mind) was about.

This was an exceptional experience that I never expected.  Apparently, when Taco Bell says, "made from Cap'n Crunch's Cereal" they are NOT kidding.  What I expected was to have a traditional donut, rolled in crushed Cap'n Crunch, with a vanilla frosting (of sorts) on the inside.  Instead, what I got was dough that smelled of the familiar Crunch Berries that the Cap'n is so fond of, and a taste which verified that every INCH of the donut is created from the very fabric of the cereal that I know and hold so dear.  The donut has a saturating richness and an overwhelming cereal flavor that even surprised the Fat.  It was a happy surprise, mind you, but a surprise nonetheless.  Here's what was the most astonishing part of the whole experience:  There was no "milky" center with frosting in the middle.  It was so STRANGE!


It's almost like the formula concocted by "The Bell" had inadvertently absorbed the creamy frosting center.  As you bite into it, it feels soft and moist (that's what she said.. wha?), but the frosting is just NOT there. This was amazing. The sweetness; the "ghost" of the frosting was there, but no evidence of its actual presence whatsoever.
 This is either a feat of amazing ingenuity, or a flaw in the execution because EVEN for Fat Mike this was (to use a term that I've learned from Chef Geoffrey Zakarian from watching "Chopped) cloyingly sweet.  The Cap'n Crunch delights are offered in 2, 4, and 12 packs but unless I was on some kind of determined bender (which I've consciously achieved in the past) I couldn't IMAGINE eating more than 4 of these.  I very much recommend trying the 4 pack to enjoy the rich, rich, rich, richness of the Cap'n Crunch Delights, but it's a little too much for an indulgence further than that.  I'm all about enjoying things that are delicious, but this is like nothing I've seen before.  Even the remnants left behind on the fingers are substantial.  And this is in addition to the sweetness of the donut itself, which as it turns out can be slightly overwhelming.


C'mon... I'm not a softy when it comes to new, elaborate creations.  I'm all for trying this. It's an experience that you'll never replicate.  However, this is some CRAZY sh*t.   Like nothing ever tasted before. My Father-in-Law said it was the most disgusting thing he'd ever tasted (and he enjoyed the overall "Bell" experience), but I'm torn because I appreciate having this out there, but I fear for the people that get 12-packs and call that a "normal" situation.

If you don't have a loyalty to the Cap'n, or a desire to simply try something new, then wait.  Not a life changer, but a worthwhile experience FOR SURE.  I see the ingenuity, I appreciate the change of pace, but I can't imagine there's circumstance (outside of the random nostalgia that I'll crave after this post) where I'd seek out these delights on my way to The Bell.  These may run the risk of being too exclusive to a certain group to be profitable, but I'll EAT MY WORDS if I have to (cause they'd be delicious).... pun.

Enjoy.  Talk to you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Too Sweet - why I hate Krispy Kremes. No donut taste, only sweet taste.

    I still find it hard to fathom that you like Taco Bell.

    ReplyDelete