Friday, August 22, 2014

Happy Fourth of Ju-LAYS

As promised, the fourth Lays flavor:
Faturated Sats Lay's Flavor Review
Lay's "Do Us A Flavor": Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese

If everyone read the Father's Day Oreos post, you were introduced to "Fitz".  Well, he rears his head again with a HUGE contribution to FaturatedSats.  

Every Monday begins with a 4hr status meeting, but this Monday was different as I arrived at my desk to find this glorious, seductive, golden bag sitting waiting for me.  To my surprise, Fitz and his lovely wife Stephanie had come across these in their local supermarket and decided to generously donate them to the Fat so that the sample set could be completed.  Thanks to you both.

Obviously, this meant that the meeting had to be COMPLETELY derailed, and the Fat entered, guns blazing with the bag of Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese for all to try.  Sharing with friends only enhances the experience, in my opinion.

These chips, as expected, were well received.  The flavor title alone is so inviting that people instinctively lunged toward the bag to taste them.  The CBM&C  did not face the same hurdles as the Cappuccino with hesitancy from eaters to dig right in.  Once you taste them, it is easy to understand why.  They are delicious.  One of the GREAT things about this chip is that the bacon is not overwhelming.  Adding a bacon flavor to a snack vessel is dicey because sometimes it can just translate into a deep smoke that overwhelm the palate.  This chip just has a light dusting that is hardly noticeable until the flavor sinks in just moments after the first chip.
One of the problems I had with this chip, however, was the use of the cheese flavor in the chip.  I couldn't help but think about Sour Cream & Cheddar chips (of any brand) right after popping the first chip.  Perhaps it was how they were trying to execute the macaroni portion of this flavor, but there wasn't a deep, cooked flavor in the cheese.  As a matter of fact, there was almost a brightness, which is what made me think of the sour cream.  Without that deep richness, I wasn't completely blown away.
Nevertheless, I had no trouble polishing off the rest of the bag over the course of the workday.  I would CERTAINLY grab these off the shelf (if I could ever find them in MY grocery), but we have to remember that this is a voting situation ("thanks DT) and I just don't think that I would choose this over the Wasabi Ginger.  I'm not really sure why these chips are not more readily available in all supermarkets, but I HIGHLY recommend trying to find them if you can to decide for yourself.

I'm voting for the Wasabi Ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment