Sunday, January 5, 2014

Prepare yourself, World.

I suppose it had to happen sometime.  After years of turmoil trying to deal with my obsession with snack food (please note: I never call it "junk food", and furthermore I detest that moniker), and my desire to examine the wealth of delicious, inventive snacks that are on the market, a dear friend encouraged me to start this blog.  Welcome, to Faturated Sats.

My name is Fat Mike.  That's not my birth name of course, but a nickname that I like to think I've come by honestly.  I'm an average joe who loves to eat... stuff.  I'm no Adam Richman (of Man vs Food fame, and if you're reading this Adam... I think you're the man).  I don't claim to have the most enormous appetite, or the ability to eat ghost chili peppers.  I just have an appreciation for the rich market of food that exists in the world.  Mind you, if you saw me on the street you may not understand or appreciate the nickname, but I stand behind it proudly.  Sure, I'm guilty of exercising, caring about my appearance, and my health, but I'll never submit to forcing myself to ignore the abundance of deliciousness that surrounds us.  Like most people, I've had my battles with food.  My body weight fluctuates like the tides.  The catch is, that I don't battle food.  I embrace it, I indulge in it, and I manage it.  Get it?  Capitalism is the same with food as it is with anything else.  Someone wants to build the better seasoned CHIP? I'll try it.  Someone wants to bring back the Twinkie? I'll celebrate it by buying a box and scarfing them down while visions of my childhood dance through my head, and the creamy, sugar filled goodness runs down my gullet.  It is our duty to know what is out there, and to take the time to evaluate the market in order to determine who is worthy to exist.  That is what Faturated Sats is all about.  I completely agree that the level of obesity in the US is unacceptable.  I don't condone grabbing piles, and piles of food to gorge on a regular basis.  (despite what you might see/hear about on occasion during this blog).  What I think is ABSOLUTELY necessary, however, is to take an interest in the inventiveness, creativity, science, and achievement that moves through the world of snack food without us even knowing it.  It is my intention to constantly explore that arena and share my opinions, and those of others so that you can decide to share in the glory of snack food, and feel confident that your choices and sacrifices are worth it.  That's how I roll.

Some people say they are emotional eaters?  I ask, what other kind is there?  Eating good food, or bad, is an emotional experience.  It should be as exhilarating as the adrenalin rush you get jumping out of a plane, or drag racing cars.  It should be as puzzling as people who get their kicks by obsessively cleaning their house, or dressing up their pets.  Food should be as soothing and comforting as a hug, or a beanbag chair in college.

As the classic song states: Amazing cakes, how sweet the pounds.  That fed a wretch like me.  I once was large, but now I'm stout.  But damn, I love to eat.  

If you're willing to join me, I'll do my absolute best to share with you a thorough examination of chips, cookies, crackers, fast food, popcorn, fruit snacks, and almost anything that strikes the fancy of The Fat (that's me) at any given time in order to make you a savvy and educated consumer.  Besides, all my friends get tired of hearing me rant about this stuff.  Aside from the fact, that (if you're like me) you'll want to make the MOST out of your snacking to ensure that it's worthwhile.  If anyone reading this is thinking to themselves, "Yeah, well, you're probably twenty-something, and you don't know how hard it is to diet, exercise, and count calories", you'll be happy to know that I'm almost 36, I have a wife and a 1yr old son, I don't pay for a gym membership, I exercise AT BEST 5 days a week (with my own resources) and I spend EVERY MINUTE of exercise that I do thinking about Buffalo Wings, pizza, chips, beer, and basically ANYTHING that I plan on eating that day, week, or weekend, or month.  To be honest, sometimes I'm just prepping for some massive binge I'm going to make to Taco Bell that's 4 days away.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is an outlet for me, but I want it to be a resource for others.  Let's be honest, we all love food.  Perhaps we can't all go out and eat whatever we want, but I want to try it all, and if I'm gonna be that guy I might as well be able to share any insights, opinions, revelations, and shortcomings that I come across.

Let's do this.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Mike! What a fun creative endeavor. I'm happy for you man. I think sharing like this is good way to give meaning to the things we do on a daily basis. Quality kick -off bro, clear thought and good humor in that writing.

    ReplyDelete