Thursday, August 25, 2016

Throwback Thursday Snacking?

This one goes out to all the long-term snackies out there... Who remembers these?


Proving yet again that the Internet is an exciting and wild place, these were ordered from Amazon by a colleague that I work with.  I was so impressed, that I thought I'd give a shout on Faturated Sats for the effort and nostalgia.

Dunkaroos are a snack initially released in the early 90s.  Take a look at the quick history here if needed.  Some genius somewhere thought up the idea of dipping cookies into cake frosting as a snack and changed my life forever.  For some reason, this didn't live in the market for very long.  The snack was never officially discontinued, but production was simply scaled back and it became virtually impossible to procure these little packets anywhere. Now that the Internet exists, if you can get past the idea of eating a technically discontinued food that is mailed to your house instead of sold by retailers, then you can enjoy this magical treat anytime.

Let me give you an idea of how deep this runs for the Fat.  After "College Round 3" at the age of 25 when I decided to be an overachiever and earn a 4.0 GPA while chasing my college degree, I worked towards a single, celebratory snack.  For months, I was driven by the idea of getting through my final semester to purchase two ingredients: 1) a package of Oreo cookies and 2) a 16oz container of Betty Crocker "Rich & Creamy" vanilla cake frosting. Thereby, replicating the Dunkaroos experience with my own specialty cookie/frosting combo.  I lounged in front of the TV and plowed through my homemade Dunkaroos with a euphoric vigor after accomplishing my academic goals.  It was SO worth it.  I truly had achieved greatness.

Needless to say, it was a happy surprise to find the real deal in the office years later, and I was very impressed by the number of people who not only knew what Dunkaroos were, but celebrated them. Moreover, I was happy to observe those who were NOT previously aware of this heavenly snack experiencing the joy of dunking sugar cookies in sugar frosting. That zany, Aussie kangaroo mascot is trying to save us all.  Just let him.

Thanks again, Internet... and Vince.


No comments:

Post a Comment