Thursday, December 3, 2015

Did I just see a GHOST?!?

Nah... It was just those crazy folks at Trader Joe's.


I gotta open with a shout out to my bro's-bro, Ari, for calling these to my attention.   I always appreciate hearing about what's new out there, and I encourage ALL readers to reach out to Fat Mike ANYTIME with suggestions, or items you come across that you think I should try.  As a reminder, I always welcome guest posts should you decide to take on any unique snack yourself, but if you haven't got the gumption...I'll tumble for ya'.

Before the review, there are a couple of things that should be made clear.  I am not a regular shopper of Trader Joe's.  I don't "hate" on the store by any means, but it doesn't typically offer things that draw my enthusiasm.  My wife swears that this place has great stuff, but every time I'm in there it is such a crowded and disorganized mess that I leave it to her to navigate those treacherous waters.  The bag of chips that are pictured above were purchased by my beautiful and accepting wife for the specific purpose of this tasting.

In addition, I'm VERY much against the "Ghost Pepper" flavor claim that is permeating the food market lately.  Remember a while back when everything was "Artisan"?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/artisan
There were Artisan Tostios, Artisan Subway melts, Artisan Wheat Thins and all sorts of other foods that were either produced on a massive scale, or lacking anything related to a "high quality ingredient".  It became a label and nothing more.  Totally ridiculous and misrepresented in every way.  The same has happened to the Ghost Chili.  Allow me to drop some education on y'all people.  Chili peppers are measured in "Scoville Units" (see picture below)
As you can see in the chart, your "run o' the mill" Jalapeno can average about 5k Scoville units.  The Bhut Jolokia (or Ghost Chili) pepper measures 1 MILLION Scoville units.  This bad boy is FIREY hot, and there are GREAT eaters out there who have been sent crying to their mamas after even taking a bite of one of these mofos.  Therefore, it is INCONCEIVABLE  that any company could release ANY food to the general public that could promise the "Ghost Chili" experience.  Nevertheless, as someone who appreciates hot foods I can understand why using the name would help to distinguish the "hot" stuff from the "ghost hot" options in the market.  Nevertheless, I walk into every experience with a little bit of skepticism.

Now that my ranting is over, let's talk chips.

 The first thing you notice is the weight and build.  These are well made, hearty chips.  Obviously, I was put off by the style of the chip, but I've come to expect that if a chip-maker is trying to pack bold flavors in a chip they choose either a kettle cook, or ridged vessel.  There was not a strong scent in the bag, which I found unusual, and the overall look of the chip was rather unassuming. (left) It didn't have any distinguishing colors or textures, and there wasn't any burn when handling the chip.  The eat, however, was unexpectedly delightful.  The chips had a well balanced group of spices that gave them a bit of a "brightness". When that passed, you'd start to feel the creeping of some heat.  That is what lingered on the pallet in the end.  As the flavors dispersed, the mild heat would stay.  It had a strength and a subtlety all at the same time.  As if the infinitesimal amount of ghost chili was just enough to "wet the whistle" and provide the eater with the perfect amount of strong heat without watering the eyes or melting the tongue.  I have a fair tolerance for heat, so my wife volunteered as a "control" to better measure whether the poetry on the back of the bag (pictured above) wasn't just being lost on me.  She was able to confirm that while the chips had a pleasant heat there was no reason to claim them as intolerable for most casual eaters.  I want to make that clear in case people may still be scared off my the "Ghost Pepper" title.

The experience was a positive one.  All eaters were satisfied.  Did this chip live up to the "ghost" expectations? No way.  However, TJs did successfully create a chip that is pleasant to eat, with pleasant heat, that makes a pleasant treat.  If you are a regular at Trader Joe's (or just tolerant enough to walk in the place), I recommend grabbing this bag.  It makes for a GREAT sandwich chip, and really does a great job carving out a space for itself in the snack market.  I only wish that I could grab them in a regular snack isle.  I guess I'll have to keep sending my lovely wife on retrieval missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment