Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Lay's Do Us A Flavor Pt. 2: Kettle Cooked Greektown GYRO

Part 2: Kettle Cooked Greektown GYRO chips

They said that it couldnt be done.  They said that it was too ambitious.  They said that it was a gross idea.  I have no idea who they are, but if they're out there somewhere, Id like to address them directly with this post: You're CRAZY. Its been done, folks, and its been done well.  

First, of course, allow me to provide a little back-story because it wouldnt be Faturated Sats without one. 

On the same day that my son and I kicked off this four-part saga with our deli drive, my wife was unfortunately spending her day at work.  Sure, she was curious why we would have driven 30min for lunch, but she knows not to dig too deep with questions attempting to diagnose my ridiculousness.  She came home not feeling so great and didn't have much of an appetite.  The boy and I had been gallivanting all over the place and snacking all day.  Understandably, I wasnt going to cook a meal if there werent a group of appetites to satisfy. As luck would have it, she was in the mood for soup, and one of our favorite places by our house makes a MEAN chicken soup that she really loves. (Where are you going with this, Fat Mike?) 

Because Im a dutiful and doting husband, I immediately decided that it was my responsibility to get her the soup she loved in order to help her feel better. But when I picked up the phone to place the order,* I realized we were ordering from a Greek restaurant!*  It was soon after that phone call, that this happened:

Having only finished my investigation of the Reuben chips hours before, I went into this eat with a bit of skepticism.  The Reuben experience had taken the wind out of my sails, and I wasn't sure how this next round would turn out.  Last year, Lay's rolled out the Cappuccino flavored chips and the prospect of a Gyro flavored chip seemed to be garnering the same public reaction of, "Ewww... what's that?" The Fat is always willing to take a chance and, believe it or not, I was looking forward to trying these, but after the Reuben experience I found it difficult to believe that the layered flavors in a Gyro could be captured on a chip.  I was happily surprised to be proven wrong.

Think about it: The spiced lamb, the Tzatziki sauce with dill and cucumber, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, and a soft cooked pita to wrap it all up like a warm blanket.  Mmmm...  Fat Mike loves the Gyro.

I took a couple bites of the Gyro and then followed up with a chomp into a delightfully spiced, kettle cooked chip.  It immediately perked me up, and I almost did the equivalent of a "double-take" looking at the bag in shock.  I reached my hand back in the bag and took another, then another, and then another.  Needless to say, it went on pretty much the same thereafter.  Before I knew it, I was eating more of the chips than I was of the Gyro itself.  My wife looked at me pleasantly and said, "Ah... so THAT'S why you went to the Greek place?"  Thankfully, my mouth was too stuffed with chips to reply.
This was truly impressive.  You can see on the chip the different color combinations that make up the flavor dust.  Similar to a "Cool Ranch" there is a multitude of ingredients that all dance on your taste buds to achieve the artificial sensation of gnawing on a real Gyro.  Fat Mike was re-inspired by this find.  It's true that any kettle cooked chip will have a distinct advantage over the traditional or "ridged" executions, but I think it was the necessary vessel to hold onto the depth of flavor offered with the Gyro chip.  This one has the potential of being a REAL winner in the "innovative flavor" portion of the judging.  But the question is, will it drive revenue if released into the market? Will people be able to overcome their skepticism and take a chance if it wins? Will it be a surprise impulse purchase for chip buyers?  We can only hope that it wins and we find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment